I’ve been away for while, and for the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to find a way to explain why my posts have been so
infrequent non-existent lately.
- Basking in the sun on a private island
- Traveling Europe in search of the perfect high-fashion footwear
- Sailing the seven seas
- Locked in a room with no wifi
- Serving on the jury of a high-profile trial and sequestered from the rest of society
- On a book tour publicizing the drama that went into the above jury’s months-long deliberation
- Put into the Witness Protection Program because I know too much about what REALLY happened!
- Killing zombies and praying I don’t get bit in the process!
Yes, I would LOVE to say any one of those things kept me from blogging my heart out for the past six months, but shocking as it may seem, I haven’t done any of those things (except for the zombies–more on that later, though).
Here’s the Cliff Notes version of what actually kept me from my favorite online place. In the past few months, I have:
- Planned and hosted a rock star super-mega slumber party for a posse of first graders
- Created an award-winning chili cook-off recipe
- Won a spring-time cocktail “drink-off” contest after taste-testing a multitude of cocktail recipes (someone had to do it)
- Learned the Young One wasn’t as immune to the consequences of orphanage life as we had originally assumed
- Threw an infamous St. Patrick’s Day beer tasting party
- Prepared for the Older One’s graduation from West Point complete with photographs, invitations, announcements and swag bags
- Cried as that same child collected a well-earned diploma from one of the most prestigious colleges on the planet
- Beamed with pride as he was commissioned as an officer in the United States Army
- Took a vacation to a not-so private beach
- Watched my son pack up his belongings and move on to his own life
- Renovated a house
- Bought a new house
- Moved out of my dream house
- Relocated the family 115 miles north
- Watched my daughter say goodbye to her besties at the dream house and sit lonely in the childless-neighborhood of the new house
- Killed a horde of zombies while praying I didn’t get bit in the process!
In other words, life happened.
It was crazy and joyous and heartbreaking and overwhelming. One major life event followed another, and I was overwhelmed by the enormity of absolutely everything. The only way to get through it all was to focus on one one piece at a time–one event, one goodbye, one hurdle at a time.
Now the boxes are unpacked, we’ve settled into a routine, and before the holiday stresses get too demanding, I plan to take some time to do what makes me ME.
Fortunately, this new resolution coincides nicely, and not at all accidentally, with November and National Blog Post Month (aka NaBloPoMo). Starting today, I will be joining thousands of other bloggers on a quest to publish a blog post every day for the month of November. Over the next 30 days you can look forward to catching up on some of the biggest things that happened during my absence from the blogosphere. I also plan to revisit some favorite features like Picture It Tuesday, Say It Like You Mean It and Five Minute Friday.
I can’t wait! This is almost as exciting as finding that perfect pair of pumps. But not quite as thrilling as fighting your way through a herd of the undead!