I like to think I’m wearing four-inch jewel-encrusted open-toed stilettos as I take the podium to give my acceptance speech for the honors bestowed on me this week. In reality, though, I’m sitting behind my desk with my toes swathed in fluffy warm socks and trying to type coherent thoughts through a haze of cold medicine and sleepless nights.
I am, however, beyond excited to be nominated not once…not twice…but THREE times for the Liebster Award–an award given to bloggers by other bloggers in an effort to offer encouragement to those with small followings but huge potential. It also offers bloggers that thing we yearn for above all others–LINK LOVE. At least three bloggers have linked to this little blog I call home, and with any luck a few of their followers have clicked through to read about the night I met my hubby, the dog who stole my shoe and the night my daughter and I cried for our favorite boy among other fun things.
Those who found me worthy of their link love and nominated me for the Liebster Award are:
The Zombies Ate My Brains and the blogger who claims to be “Rescuing what might remain of the gray matter,” and doing battle on a semi-regular basis with a vacuum cleaner.
Baby Gates Down who was my second nominator and who, through her own acceptance post, let me know it’s okay to accept and share the love.
Charlotte’s Big Inca Trail Challenge whose nomination came in while I tried to sleep through the sniffles last night and whose adventure I follow on a regular basis.
A big blogosphere THANK YOU to each of you. When I say I am beyond excited, I am giving the greatest praise I can. In my family that means we are jumping up and down, spinning in circles, high fiving and fist bumping with a blow up at the end. It doesn’t get any better than that.
So, now that the cold medicine has kicked in and I can breathe again for the time-being, I am ready to climb the stairs to my virtual podium and accept the great honor bestowed on me…and share a little link love of my own. Please feel free to join me, and click through to these blogs. I endorse all of them and it is definitely worth your click.
The rules of acceptance…
- Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog. (Flash back to the fist bumping blow-up above.)
- You must answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominee before you. (I have three sets of questions to answer, so stay tuned.)
- You must nominate 10 of your favorite blogs with fewer than 200 followers and notify them of their nomination.
- You must come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
I really want you to visit some of my favorite blogs, so I’m going to skip to number three. And the nominees are…
The questions for my nominees to answer are…
- Army or Navy?
- Why do you blog?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?
- What is your favorite kitchen gadget?
- What is the best book you read in 2013?
- What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?
- When you aren’t blogging, what is you’re favorite thing to do?
- How many pairs of shoes are in your closet?
- What are you going to do when you are done with all the work I’ve given you to accept this award?
- What’s for dinner?
And now for the answers to my nominator’s questions. I’ll try to keep this short. I have 30 questions to answer plus dinner to make, nails to polish and a cough to suppress.
Because I love a good Zombie flick, I’ll start with questions from The Zombie Ate My Brains:
- Keaton or Chaplin (I’m talking silent screen stars, btw) I’ll admit to taking a film class in college. I’ll also admit that was a long time ago. I seem to recall Chaplin had a reputation as a not very nice guy, and since I like my guys nice, I’ll have to go with Keaton. (If I’ve gotten them confused, feel free to flip flop the answer.)
- How many times a day do you check your email? In my current free-agent state, I check email probably four times a day, but really only to check for sales at my favorite stores and to see if I have any new WordPress followers.
- Do you have a pet? Is it on your lap/laptop at the moment? I have two doggies–a fluffy one and a furry one–and they are both forsaking me for the warmth of the fireplace right now.
- Do your friends/family/associates read and follow your blog? Of course they follow me! However, when I sent my colleagues the link to my blog on my last day in the office, they were all pretty surprised. I try to keep my personal and professional selves separate, so I won’t befriend co-workers on Facebook or feel as though I have to edit myself in my blog when I know they might be reading.
- Does the fact that your friends/family/associates read and follow your blog make a difference to how or what you write? Absolutely. Certain life events and people are off limits, and I think about who is reading what before I push publish…and all names are changed to protect the innocent and not so innocent.
- When you are on hold waiting for the customer service rep to come back with the answer, how do you pass the time? Making to-do lists I have no intention of completing.
- Do you consider blogging a hobby or a job? I’m treating it like a job at the moment because I don’t currently have one of those.
- Introvert or extrovert? I’m afraid to answer.
- This Liebster thing is a lot of work, do you agree? Hmmm…since I’m on hour two, I’ll say, “Yes!”
- Do you forgive me? Absolutely! It’s all in the name of link love!
Next! Baby Gates Down…
- Why do you blog? I love to write, and I hope some of the things I write about can help other people.
- If you could be anyone for one day, who would it be? My daughter’s bff! I’d love to go to school and hang with her for a day.
- Favourite movie? An Officer and a Gentleman. I just love a man in uniform.
- Do you like to dance? Yes! Neighbors spying through my windows can often catch glimpses of me and my daughter twirling each other to the latest Kids Bop hits.
- What is your ideal evening out of the house? Dinner with the entire family at our favorite steakhouse (even though I don’t eat red meat) and dessert at Dairy Queen (even though dairy makes me feel blah)!
- Did you make a New Year’s Resolution? If yes, have you kept it? I resolved to do something new, and focusing on the blog-thing is my new thing!
- Favourite quote? “Desire. Nothing is far and nothing is new if one desires. The world is little, people are little, human life is little. There is only one big thing–desire. And before it, when it is big, all is little.”–Willa Cather, Song of the Lark
- Rich and okay or poor and truly happy? I’ll take happy over okay and hope to win the lottery!
- Do you believe that work-life balance exists? If you can be fortunate to find the right work, it can definitely balance with life. When the work is unfulfilling and stressful, it overflows to the life part and tips the balance the wrong way.
- Chips, candy or what’s your poison? BBQ Chips for me, please.
And last, but by no means least, Charlotte’s Big Inca Trail Challenge asks:
- Who, living or dead, would you most like to meet, and why? I am inspired by strong women, so I would love to meet Margaret Thatcher.
- If you won the lottery jackpot, what would you do with your winnings? I would share the wealth with my immediate family, donate to the Crohn’s Colitis Foundation of America so they could find a cure for my IBD and visit every place on my bucket list.
- Name three things which are on your bucket list. 1) Write a novel. 2) Travel to Italy. 3) Get paid (even if its not a lot) for doing something about which I am truly passionate.
- What is your earliest memory? I remember waking up early one Saturday and walking into the kitchen to find my brother at the table. I don’t know why I said it, but I whispered, “Nobody love me.” He looked at me and said matter of factly, “I love you.” End of conversation. I got my own bowl of cereal and went about watching cartoons.
- What can you not live without? The family–it’s all about the family.
- If anything was possible what would you invent? A dishwasher that puts the dishes away for you. (Disclaimer: My son always said this was going to be his invention because he always had to put the dishes away.)
- What would your superhero name be? Stiletto Momma, naturally!
- Do you know the Muffin Man? Not personally, but I love a good blueberry muffin on occasion.
- What was the first movie you ever saw, (or at least remember seeing)? It was some Godzilla movie that kept me awake wondering why their lips didn’t move with their words.
- What is your party trick? I have a super secret pretzel recipe that gets me admission to the neighborhood party of my choosing!
So, there you have it. Mission accomplished. Liebster Award accepted and passed on. I really am excited to have been nominated and to know that someone other than my husband and parents read my words.
Now, where is that box of tissues?